Thursday 17 April 2014

OUGD602 // Fieldwork Studio Visit

After i got in touch with Fieldwork a Manchester based studio, they asked me to go in to the studio and speak to them, taking along my portfolio. As I had already shown them my basic PDF portfolio, I wanted to take something that was a little different, I decided to print my portfolio and add in some extra projects to make it different from what they had already seen. I also took along some physical work too.

The studio space was great, it was a big open room, but divided down into small sections, with a large table in the middle where all the designers worked. The studio is only small and at the minute only has 4 designers - 2 designer, 2 developers. But they are looking to expand, they are taking on another developer and wanting to intern a designer over the summer, hence why they asked me to come in.

The studio vibe was great, with it being small and not a lot of people I straight away got to interact with them and started having conversations with them all. I sat down with Loz and looked through my portfolio, he was glad that I brought along some print samples too as it made it abit more interesting than just looking at images.

Feedback from my portfolio was great, Loz said that is was a strong portfolio and really brought across the type of designer that I am - one that has the digital skills, but like the create and make things, taking time and detail in the craftsmanship. I really liked that he said this, because it was pretty much in a nutshell how would like to come across. The particular projects which he took a liking to were:

- The Analogue website
- Fedrigoni
- BBC Radio
- Dialogue Exhibition

These projects are the ones which I believe are the strongest within my portfolio and probably the ones which show off all the skills I have to offer.

From looking through my portfolio and print samples we started to talk more about Manchester and the place for design and more about the studio itself. I've always loved the work that they do and finding out more about that was really interesting.

They told me that they were looking for an intern for over the summer, they weren't sure on the length but could be a possibility for full time after it. It was a really good insight into a small studio set up and one which I think I could really fit into, speaking about this more with Loz tightened that idea and getting to know more about what I would be doing it if I got the intern was great.

They want some fresh ideas and from looking through my portfolio he said that he can see the original ideas coming through - its not just trend setting stuff and the skill basis is there. They particularly want some work doing for themselves as promotion but also for in the studio, which would be more craft / print based - he said this would suit me great.

The overall feel for the studio was great, its designers are all young and it is a young studio in itself, I like the fact they have only been going for a couple of years, but are now finding their feet and getting a good constant flow of work coming in. They all seem to be really nice people and it has a good relaxed feel to it. I would love to get the intern - hopefully I will!


One project which they have done for themselves and that I have seen online is Volumes. This is a small pack of A5 illustrated postcards, it has small quotes and information about the studio and general design ideas. The idea for this is to create something 'nice' to send out to people which has a different subject each volume, this being the first. It has been greatly received online and I was lucky enough to be given one. Looks even better in print.





No comments:

Post a Comment