Friday 31 May 2013

OUGD502 // Module Evaluation


 1. What skills have you developed throughout this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
In this module i have learnt a lot about professional practice. Before this year I didnt really know a lot about the idea of being a designer in the industry and what it took to set up a business and even the smaller things of contacting studios and talking to people in the industry. I feel that throughout this module i have gradually got better and got more confident in talking to studios and contacting them about placements etc, which has led to me getting two, two weeks placement throughout the summer, which i am proud of myself because this time last year I wouldn't have the confidence in myself and my work to go out and approach companies.
In terms of learning about businesses and how they run, i have learnt a lot through the workshops and lectures that we have had with john and fred. This has taught me more about the business side of things, which i havent got a full 100% grasp of, but i now know a lot more about the business and how i would set up my own business.

This module has improved my presentation skills both with myself and actual presentations and presentation boards through the PPP final presentation we had to do. Within this again i had the confidence to show my work and say what i thought were my strengths and weaknesses about myself.

The other skill that this module has improved is my collobaration and being able to work in group. Before coming to uni, i was a designer that liked to keep my work to myself and liked to work on my own because i knew exactly what i wanted and when i could do it. With the brief of setting up our own studio and putting the business theory into practice, i was working in a group of 4. In the end we decided not to carry on the studio group after the brief, but during it i was exposed to working with 3 other people, this improved my skills of being a team player and having to work along side other people. Not everything went really well, but overall it was a positive experience and something that i have learnt from.


2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
A lot of this module was about blogging and doing the tasks were set to achieve certain things within the professional practice. This came down to a lot of reflective writing within my blog and evaluating myself and other peoples work.
Before doing this module this year, i felt that my reflective skills werent the best, i could reflect about my work and say what i had done, but not in a analytical way, which is what i needed to start to do. Doing this this time round has improved this skill and i now right much more about the design and break it down to the reason why i have designed it that way and how it helps communicate the message. Also i can talk about other people work much more efficiently and i feel more confident in breaking the work down to strengths, weaknesses and what i would change.

The other design set part of the module was designing our own personal branding. This to start with was really hard, as i found it difficult to try and brand myself and create something that i was happy with. But when i sat down and thought about it more it became easier and i began to enjoy it. Through doing my own branding, i have improved my branding skills, which includes logo design, layout and packaging. I feel that my promotional pack is very strong, and reflects me as a designer. Again through creating this i have used the idea of focussing on stock, format and making it interactive, which is something i have adopted throughout my own practice. I think the layout and use of colour of the identity is strong as works consistent throughout all the products i have created.

3. What strengths can you identify within your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I feel that my strength within this module has been the reflective writing. I have concentrated on this a lot through the year and tried to be as analytical as i could, improving this skill has helped me through this module and the other modules too.

My other strength i believe is my branding, I really enjoyed doing this and think i have created a good platform for me to carry on working from for my own personal branding. I think the promo pack is interesting and shows me as a designer, which i am going to send out over the summer to studios, so hopefully this will help me get more placements or even just to start talking with more studios.

I think my presentation skills have improved and think it was a strength within this module. I was a lot more confident when i did my presentation and knew what i wanted to say. I think my presentation was designed well and again communicated the information well. I was confident in what i was saying because i believed in my work a lot more and i was happy to show it everyone.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how willy address these in the future?
The weaknesses of this brief was probably my blog and time management. I havent kept on top of my blog throughout the year which has meant it has built up with what i needed to post and do, this has led to certain points throughout the year having a lot to do with my blog. Also i could of maybe blogged more about work that i have been getting interested in and just things i found interesting within the world of graphic design. But mainly it comes down to time management.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Keep up to date with blogging - this will stop the build up of more and more posts and ask needed to be completed, it also will keep me up to date and knowing that i dont have it to do. It takes away time from other areas of my work also.

Blog more regular and more things - I feel as though i could of blogged about the things which i have become more interested in throughout the year and maybe more about work i have found etc online, just so i had it there as a scrap book / reference which i could look back on.

Time management - This module has been one which has run throughout the whole year, at certain points its the one module which gets pushed to the back and forgotten about - i think if i planned it out more then it could have been stronger and i would have been able to do the things which i spoke about above.

Put myself in a collaboration more - I think as i found this collaboration within this module so vital and useful for me knowing what i want to do when i finish the course and the sort of studio i would want to work in, I could ask peers within our year to do more collaborations and try out different things within this, this again will give me more experience and maybe inform me more about where id want to work after uni.

Keep up with contacts and networking - Throughout this module we have been told about networking and contacting studios, which i started to do fairly early on, but after contacting the first couple, i drifted away from this and stopped doing it. I think if i had kept up with how i had started i could be in a position with more contacts and being able to put myself out into the industry more.



Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 5
Motivation - 5
Commitment - 5
Quantity of work produced - 4
Quality of work produced - 4
Contribution of the group - 4
 

No comments:

Post a Comment